Saturday, October 11, 2008

Name Change Part II

I thought that I'd fill you in on the other part of having a name changed leagelly. That would be changing the name on the issued Social Security card. Just in case you are wondering what kind of a process that is, let me tell you. Well, me and the 3 kids walked into the Social Security office at 11:45. I thought that this might be a good time because people would be eating lunch so the line is going to be shorter right? I was wrong. Way wrong. There weren't even any seats available for us to sit down. Kenzi and Eli both had to go to the bathroom so I took them there first hoping that a seat would open up by the time we came out. Lucky us, two seats were available. I nudged the kids in that direction and we sat down. Kenzi and Eli sharing a chair. There were probably about 80 people there waiting. Do you know what kind of people you see waiting in the Social Security office? If you ever want to go people watching, this might be the place for you! There are the "mature" kind, you know the ones that are nearing the age of collecting there benefits. Then you have the newlyweds that are practically making out by the door with their sparkling new wedding bands. Like us, there are brand new babies. Some trying to apply for a card (since the baby was born in the US) we are close to the border. Or because their crazy mother decided to change the poor things name! You would think that that would cover it right? Wrong! Finally you have the obvious man dressed in a gold silky top wearing a skirt and wait...the final touch...purple mardi gras beads! I just prayed that the kids didn't start asking questions!
I thought that for the circumstances that my kids were relatively well behaved,well for the first hour then it was all downhill. I even found myself laughing just to keep from having a breakdown and crying. Finally it was our turn at the window, number B54 was my saving grace I thought, then Eli started eating someone else's gum off of the floor and licking his dirty grimey hands!We'll keep you posted on if he contracted Hepititis C.
On the way home I thought that I'd be up for taking the kids to do a little shopping since I was on that side of town. Shopping is like therapy for me. However, not 5min had passed once we had gotten in the car and all 3 kids were sound asleep. I decided to not wake the mouths up so I headed home. I won't be making any trips to the Social Security office anytime soon and I can't say that I recommend you do either.

9 comments:

laura said...

Oh my gosh! That craks me up!! Sounds stressful but a good story to tell. I love shopping too! Let's go sometime, we also need to plan a dinner!

Jueneta said...

What is it with kids and gum. My kids usually find the gum under the table. That is a crazy place; next time you want another adventure try the INS (Immigration) building.

Ashlie said...

Wow! I hadn't considered the transvestities. Lovely!

Heather said...

Wow. What and adventure!

Candace said...

I am so sorry! I hope it was really worth changing his name :) Bryan gave me your blog address. I hope that you don't mind that I added you to our friends list because I would LOVE to keep in touch with your family more.

The Kemps said...

What an adventure!! You're a real trooper for going with 3 kiddos in tow!

laura said...

I can't believe you stayed there! How fun! The Sacre Coure is so pretty. Oh and you can take pictures just with no flash, that's why the picture looks so crapy! Haha

allie said...

I feel so bad for you guys having to stay there that long! Hopefully that will be the only time you have to go!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

Done that trip about 3 times when I first moved here, with Seth and Cade as my little toddlers. It was a nightmare!!