Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Our Trip to Germany

We had the opportunity to visit some friends that have been living in Germany for over a year now. They are there for Devin, the husbands work. They were so nice and not only did they let us stay at their house but they let us have the master bedroom. Thanks guy for being great hosts, we had a wonderful time!

Here we are at Neuschwanstein. Does it look familiar? The Disney castles are pattered after this beautiful castle that was King Ludwig II's hunting lodge.

This is the Ulmer Munster which is the tallest church in the world. During World War II this beautiful gothic style cathedral was only hit with one bomb. Ulm is where my grandpa was stationed after WWII so it was neat to think about what may have changed since he had been there. Around this cathedral is a shopping area, like a giant outdoor mall.

The Germans are pretty particular about the cold. Allison and I were shopping and Spencer and Gavin went to look for Einstein's birthplace. While Spencer was waiting to meet back up with us girls, he was holding Gavin outside of a store and a lady walked up and told him in german that the baby needed to have his hat on. Spencer explained to her that he didn't speak german so she got her husband to translate. The man told him that it was important to keep a hat on the baby! We brought a hat for Gavin, in fact we brought two. However, I couldn't resist this adorable little german hat!

This is Allison and me in front of "The Christmas Store" in Rothenburg. It is hard for me to wrap my brain around how old this old city is. It is surrounded by a city wall. Allison and I both bought a "hand carved" Mary and Joseph figurine with Mary on a donkey's back and Joseph is leading. It is neat because Mary has a pregnant tummy and her hands are out reading a book or you can change out the book and put a baby Jesus figurine in her arms.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! How fun! You look so great, and Gavin is so dang cute. I had to chuckle about the hat...Russians are very particular about the cold as well, and I had little old ladies yell at me about not having hats on the kids!

Heather Mae the DIY Gal said...

I enjoyed reading all about your trip to Germany. I would have LOVED touring all the castles! How cool is that! Funny about the hat comments!

Papa said...

Gramy and I enjoyed having the kids while you toured Germany.
They are fun to have around.
Glad you had fun.

Love,

Papa

Ashlie said...

So cool. I can't even imagine what it would be like to tour all those places. I'm jealous.

allie said...

We were so glad you could come. We really had a wonderful time with you guys!

Heather said...

Wow! That looks like an awesome trip!

Camille said...

What a great trip! That looks like so much fun.